The COVID-19 pandemic has brought about many changes to the way we live and work. Something that many of us have been forced to adjust to is working from home. For some people, this might come easy. For others, it can be a real challenge to stay focused and feel like you’re being as productive as you were in the office! So, we’ve compiled a quick list of 7 tips and tricks to help you get the most out of every day while working from home.
- Stake your claim. Set aside a dedicated workspace in your home. It doesn’t have to be big and fancy; it can be as grand as a den or study, or as simple as a desk in the corner of your family room. You’ll be spending a lot of time there, so make sure you’re comfortable. Maybe buy yourself a new chair.
- Do not disturb. Share your work expectations with family or roommates. Establish a set schedule for “leave me alone”, “if you really need me”, and “I’m available” times during the day.
- Be disciplined. Start early, take needed breaks, and have a set quitting time, just like at the office. Create a clear line between work time and home time. And get out of your pyjamas. Nuff said.
- Get it done. Tackle the tough stuff early in the day when you’re the most productive; save the menial tasks for the afternoon. Remember, though, that spending an hour surfing Amazon for the latest deals is not a productive use of your time.
- Don’t go it alone. You’re at home, not in the witness protection program. Set aside time to interact with other people, and not just co-workers and clients. Use instant messaging and videoconferencing to stay connected.
- Food for thought. Plan and make meals and snacks the night before so you don’t have to spend extra time in the kitchen at lunchtime. Save the three-course meals for the weekend.
- Eliminate distractions. Disable social media notifications. If you don’t need your smartphone for work, turn it off or leave it in another room. That adorably cute cat video can wait until later.
We know that working from home has its challenges and it may be hard to get used to. But by putting these tips and tricks into practice, you give yourself the best chance at a productive (and enjoyable!) day.
Do you have any other helpful tips or tricks? Leave a comment below to share with us!